Album Name: Under the Covers
Artist: Sid and Susie (Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs)
Year/Label: 2006 / Shout Factory
[Buy at Amazon]
Review by Amy Lotsberg Producer of Collected Sounds
I’ve been a fan of Matthew Sweet for several years and of course, being a child (ok teenager) of the 80s, grew up with Susanna Hoffs and the Bangles. So this meeting of the musical minds is a very special treat. They call themselves Sid and Susie, I call it heaven.
They first teamed up to portray Ming Tea in the Austin Powers movies. Tell me I wasn’t the only one in the theaters to jump up, point at the screen and say “Oh my god, that’s Matthew Sweet!”
Hoffs is her usually pretty, perky, sweet sounding self. Sweet still has that perfect pop thing going. This record is filled with great pop songs from the 60s.
I knew most of these songs, but some, I’m embarrassed to say, were new to me. They’re all beautiful pop songs that touch that swingin’ pop star in all of us.
Right now my favorite songs are “And Your Bird Can Sing” and “Different Drum” but they are all good. This is going to be on regular rotation all summer at my house.
I am also glad that this is called Vol.1. That can only mean more is in store!
Posted on May 15, 2006
1. I See The Rain (The Marmalade)
2. And Your Bird Can Sing (The Beatles)
3. It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue (Bob Dylan)
4. Who Knows Where The Time Goes? (Fairport Convention)
5. Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young And Crazy Horse)
6. Alone Again Or (Love)
7. Warmth Of The Sun (The Beach Boys)
8. Different Drum (The Stone Poneys, featuring Linda Ronstadt)
9. The Kids Are Alright (The Who)
10. Sunday Morning (The Velvet Underground)
11. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young And Crazy Horse)
12. Care Of Cell #44 (The Zombies)
13. Monday Monday (The Mamas And The Papas)
14. She May Call You Up Tonight (The Left Banke)
15. Run To Me (The Bee Gees)