Album Name: Here Lies Dorothy Parker
Artist: Niki Lee
Year/Label: 2004 / Independent
Review by Anna Maria Stjärnell
Niki Lee has set Dorothy Parker’s poems to music. It’s an intriguing idea that works well. She sings and plays guitar great.
“Thoughts” opens the cd a tranquil melody framing Parker’s poems of suicide and Penelope.
“Ballad of the unfortunate Mammals” is a merrily strummed song with a sweet vocal by Lee.
“Day-dreams” portrays an idyllic love as Lee sings angelically.
The humorous tale of “The gunman and the Debutante” is rendered with wit and spirit.
Niki Lee has done justice to the witty and sad Parker and that’s no small feat. Maybe she’ll turn more people on to this great writer.
Posted on June 27, 2004
2. Ballade of Unfortunate Mammals
3. A Very Short Song
5. Song of Perfect Propriety
8. The Gunman and the Debutante
10. A Well-worn Story
11. The Passionate Freudian to His Love
13. Advice to the Little Peyton Girl
16. Thought For a Sunshiny Morning