Album Name: Grrrls with Guitars Vol. 3
Artist: Various Artists
Year/Label: 2006 / Maximum Music Group
[Buy at Maximum Music Group ]
Review by Amy Lotsberg Producer of Collected Sounds
When I got this CD, I took a look at the artists here and had heard of only one of them! I saw Coco Love Alcorn many years ago when she opened for Ani DiFranco. I was pretty blown away, but it seemed she had kind of disappeared. So I was looking forward to hearing her here. I was not disappointed. I think her contribution “She’s Beautiful” happens to be my personal favorite here.
Most of the songs on this compilation fall into the rock-folk genre. But there is also a touch of bluegrass, country, swing, and jazz.
Another one that really stood out to me was “Day 4” by Christa Couture. She has a very appealing, comforting voice.
“Big Wet Moon” is by Nadine Davenport who is the brains (labor?) behind this whole compilation and the showcase behind it. This is a really fun song too.
This is a very nice combination of artists, styles and songs. Anyone looking to learn about new artists should definitely check this out.
Posted on February 21, 2006
Rating: 5 Stars
Comment: Barley Wik can rock me to sleep any day.
name: honeypie Thursday, February 23, 2006
1. Lavina Brown – Anne-Louise Genest
2. Diamonds – Shiloh Lindsey
3. She’s Beautiful – Coco Love Alcorn
4. Slim Pickins – Kim Barlow
5. Empty Boxes – Taylor James
6. Let’s Call It a Day – Rae Armour
7. Release Me – Hector
8. Big Wet Moon – Nadine Davenport
9. It’s Raining Again – Yael Wand
10. Bad Luck Day Baby – Po’ Girl
11. Perception – Green Tara
12. Ten Thousand Miles – Loud
13. This Time I’ll Forgive You… Again – Ash Riot
14. Leslie – Kristia Di Gregorio
15. No Hope in Hell – Barley Wink
16. Day 4 – Christa Couture
2 comments for “Album Review: Grrrls with Guitars Vol. 3 by Various Artists”